Thursday, July 9, 2009

Making connections





Yesterday the wonderful Doris Stahl of http://art-affair.blogspot.com/ asked for my favourite line of my favourite song for a series of images she is producing based on a collection of peoples suggestions.


Without hesitation I sent her a line from Starry starry night, by Don McLean then looked it up on You Tube and found several beautiful versions with Van Goghs images set to the music. Looking at the images I remembered being in the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam when I was 17 (yes 30 years ago) and taking illegal photos of some of the images hoping i would not be arressted.


I then realised that I have had a beautiful minature enamel teapot for the last five years on my kitchen dresser with Van Goghs images on each side. And I also have a rather sick cartoon of Van Gogh having difficulty keeping his glasses straight that has been dog eared in my diary for years.

Then it hit me. Starry Starry night is about Van Gogh, whom I have been connected to since I was very young and my little ebook was called Sunflower Seeds, and of course, Van Gogh was famous for his sunflowers more than any other painting. Doh!

Never realised how connected the teapot is to my favourite song, the song to my favourite artist and the artist to my Little Book of Sunflower Seeds (and other bits of good news and happy thoughts).

It took a german artist living in Orpington who is on a mission to produce a prolific amount of work in time for an exhibition in August to highlight an Irish womans subconcious connection to a dead Dutch man!

If you want to listen to something really beautiful and look at something special at the same time, check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkvLq0TYiwI and stop what you are doing for 4 mins and 20 seconds. You'll be glad you did!


1 comment:

Doris said...

Good on you Anne, I am so looking forward to your exhibition. Your canvas is nearly ready. So excited for both of us!!